Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Brew is a Fermenting...

Well the second batch is now fermenting as we speak. Total time for brewing was just a little over three hours, roughly 3h 15min. the process was time consuming as I always feel like I was contaminating the brew. But I did my best to make sure all was sanitized and there wasn't anything that could have gotten into the brew pot. The smell was intoxicating...well not just yet but it will get there. I had one ounce of Cascade hops for bittering and one ounce of Fuggle (USA) for aroma. One reminder to all, make sure you have a good enough strainer for filtering the wort into the primary fermenter, mine slipped a few times which was rather aggravating. So I have a feeling that some of my hop sediment made it into the primary, hopefully this won't ruin the taste of the brew. I also included one teaspoon of Irish Moss for clarifying the brew once it goes into the bottling stage. I apologize to those reading this as I am jumping all over my process of brewing. I finally ended up with an original gravity for the brew at 1.043, which is a pretty good OG. The alcohol content was about 5.5%, which will be a very tasty brew I think. I will be posting more pics tonight if I get a chance so you all can see my attempts at making a Raspberry Red Ale.

Hope you all enjoy this read...

Jon A.

No comments:

Post a Comment